The Orbiter Model
is a scientific working unit representing the sun, earth, and moon and their relationships. The Orbiter is designed to demonstrate basic earth and moon motions and to explain the causes of day and night, seasons, and phases of the moon.
Basic Investigations with the Orbiter are:
- How the earth's rotation causes day and night
- How the earth's revolution around the sun and the tilt of its axis causes seasons
- Why the sun rises in the east and sets in the west
- Why there is a midnight sun
- Why there are eclipses and more
Numerous study project and experiments may be conducted with Orbiters to expand interest and increase knowledge of the subject. Several ideas and projects are suggested.
Special Notice: The arm, the Earth and the Moon of this orbiter rotate manually around the Sun. The tilt of the Earth is kept in a static position as it is rotated.
Grades 3 - 12
Manufacturer: American Educational Products