Kids with Sensory Integration Disorder, Autism, PDD-NOS, Aspergers, and others can benefit from wearing a weighted vest. This Reddish Brown Berber Weighted Vest with brown Trim
is a good solution for kids who need a constant soft pressure on their upper body. This vest provides proprioceptive input and pressure which can help increase attention and help with self regulation.
SensoryEdge includes two 1/2 lb weights with the vest and we offer additional weights for sale as well. The inside pockets are great for extra weights or can even be used to for fidget toys (not included).
- Two 1/2 lb weights included.
- OTs often recommend adding the weights slowly until the optimum weight for your child is achieved
- One tear away tag so it can be made into a tag-less vest
- The inside of the vest is lined with a light-weight fabric
- Lining has 5 pockets to vary the weight of the vest. You can add or decrease weight according to your child’s needs.
- Velcro closure with faux button closure overlay on the front which increases your child’s independence and makes getting dressed easier
- The top flap of the cargo pocket has button and snap for practicing dressing skills. This does not operate the pocket.
- The bottom Velcro flap operates the pocket and provides proprioceptive feedback through the Velcro
- Built-In Fidgets are sewn inside the pocket to help calm the child’s sensory system
- This weighted vest was designed by a sensory certified occupational therapist
When our son was young his OT recommended have a varied sensory diet. She said that we should think of it like nutrition. Spinach is healthy but you need more than one source of nutrition. Feeing a a child’s sensory system is similar. Many things combine together to create the perfect diet. Sometimes the body craves a particular food and sometimes your body craves a particular type of sensory input. Adding a weighted vest to your child’s routine is good way to vary the input they receive. This should help increase focus and help them learn to self regulate.